Wednesday 6 July 2011

Statement and Pitch: The best place for a warm drink is....


The idea came from a recent sunburn I had experienced.  When people think of a warm drink they usually think of it being cold outside.  I wanted to use that but also argue that even when it is sunny, some of us are better off inside with a warm drink, then outside with the warm sun.  I thought I would use the program “Prezi” to make my “video” as I had never made one before and they seemed like a really interesting tool.  The program was pretty straight forward and user friendly.  I liked how you could upload clips from YouTube to add to your message.  The downfall I found was that it is very difficult, if not impossible for the average user to add music or sound.  I suppose you could make something in YouTube and then upload into the Prezi, but then the video would only play in one segment and not have music through out.  I decided that instead of using the Prezi as the final product, I could think of it as a modified storyboard from my original Comic Life storyboard.  I took the essential idea from my Prezi and make an IDVD, which I had done a few times before.  This program allowed me to add my photos and add voice and music.  I could not figure out how to add any clip from the Internet, so my YouTube clips needed to be replaced by my voice.  Unfortunately I had never tried to export an IDVD to a blog before and it proved to be too difficult for me, so I decided to convert the IDVD to an IMovie, which I knew could be uploaded.  Looking back on all three methods used I found each one brought out a unique aspect.   Although the Prezi could not easily provide me with the option of music and voice, I found the sound in YouTube clips more powerful in contrast to the silence of the written words.   The Prezi project seemed more artistic, as if it could almost be poetry.  The IMovie seemed more personal because my voice was attached explaining what I intended for every image.  It was more direct and did not allow for as much interpretation as the Prezi.   I found this experience challenging and rewarding.  I learned a lot about a new program, and something new about a program I have used before.  From here I will try and add more digital content for the final product and try to combine the artistic feel with the personal feel.
Naturally after I first posted this pitch I was introduced to a program called Jing.  It allows you to capture screen shots and video of your computer.  The ironic part of this program is that I am having difficulty uploading the swf format into Imovie, but it uploads easily in Prezi with sound!  There really is so many neat tools out there!
References for images in video:

Mosquito image: http://freevectorfinder.com/mosquito.html           

No comments:

Post a Comment