Tuesday 12 July 2011


Technography = Technology +Ethnography: an Introduction
About 4 pages in and still wondering what the point of this article is.  I understand the goal of trying to get socio-techno researchers to see the merit of qualitative study,  however this seems like a very long-winded way of saying only that.  Perhaps I am missing something that the class can help bring to light.  It is also possible that I am missing out on the true meaning of the article when I read sentences like “ Our special issue opens with three pieces explicating performativity in the context of spaces essentially demarcated by technological machinery” (p.1105) and have absolute no idea what was just said.
Video: Technograph Presents: Just Another Love Game
Unfortunately I found this video about as appealing as the article.  I can infer that the message is how attached we have become to technology but I did not like the way the message was transmitted.  After the discussion in class about how music can set the mood and convey a message I have to say that I strongly disliked the music played in the video and I found it very hard for me to listen to the video.  I actually really just wanted to turn it off, so for me it was not a very effective choice in music. 
Class reflection July 8th:
My discussion group came to an agreement of the academia “elitism” or articles, not meant for a global audience.  This article made me think of my Language and Power class in which we discussed why authors choose certain working in their articles.
While I understand there is a place for harder articles and that I am certain there are more difficult articles to read, I still take issue with articles that in making it more challenging to read detract the message.  I know the argument is that Masters level students are suppose to be reading article like this, but if it detracts from the readers experience is the message really getting across?  I guess maybe I just need to suck it up.
I agree with the comments made about the video being to long and that it looses the power of the message.  The article follows the same fate, being to long and loosing the focus of the audience.
I really enjoyed watching everyone’s video.  I was very impressed with everyone and how hard everyone worked.  I liked all the different interpretations and personal experiences conveyed in the videos.
Using dital tools
I often wondered how a qualitative researcher can manage all the data they take it and decide what is relevant and what is not.  I find the LiveScribe Pen really interesting for the gathering of information.  I could see myself using it with students and being able to have an organic conversation because the students might not necessarily realize they are being recorded in the same manor as using an MP3 player.   
Something discussed in my afternoon class is inline with selecting digital tools.  We discussed how we need to know the purpose of using the technology and choosing the technological tool that is appropriate for the project.
Advancing the Field: Considering Acceptable Evidence in Educational Technology Research
Right from the beginning of this article I am disappointed to find that so much of what can be considered “valid” in continuously linked to solely quantitative measures.  Can anything in education be 100% replicable?  Most variables and setting can be replicated but the learner and the group dynamic is never the same year to year.  I agree that we should look at the definition of evidence seen by teachers, policy makers and researchers, but can this happen when the “higher ups” are still on stuck on quantitative data being the only measure of validity? The “gold standard” addressed in the article is not only difficult to achieve in a school setting, I would argue that it is unethical.  If a teacher wants to test out the performance of a certain program because they feel it is helping students achieve, how can they ethically deny a control group of this program?
The article nicely addressed what is holding back educational research. First off even in the domain of research there is the need to fit a mold in order to secure publication, which therefore drives the choice of subject. Since education involves many facets it can be difficult for school setting research to fit that mold.  Secondly there is the matter of time.  School settings can require a large time commitment in order to have an authentic research experience.   These two factors lead researchers who are interested in educational research to look elsewhere.  I like how the article does not suggest lowering the standards for educational research, but rather suggest compromise and understanding in order for the field to progress.
For the last 3 years I have been participating in a research project with Dr. Martine Pellerin at the University of Alberta.  Her research is very much inline with the recommendations offered by the authors.  She has been documenting, observing and discussing with us about our beliefs about technology, our practices with technology and how we are meeting the learning outcomes using technology.  It has been very interesting to have conversations with colleagues and see everyone’s varying approaches and comfort levels with technology.  It has helped me to reflect on my practice and how and why I use technology in my class.
Reflections from class July 11th:
I found the video in class about a participatory culture really interesting.  I do not necessarily agree with the level of value he placed on gaming, but I do see the global community coming together for varying causes people hold to be important.  I value the opportunities to discuss with my colleagues and I found it unfortunate that we did not have the time to discuss the video with either our small groups or the entire class.  I wanted to know other people’s views on what he said on gaming.  Am I missing something in regards to it’s importance since I am a non online gamer? 
References:
Schrum, L., Thompson, A., Sprague, D., Maddux, C., McAnear, A., Bell, L., & Bull, G. (2005). Advancing the field: Considering acceptable evidence in educational technology research. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 5(3/4), 202 -209.
Attached: Crichton, S. (2011). Using Digital Tools in Qualitative Research– Supporting integrity, simplicity, deep insight and social change. In Online research methods. Carlos Nunes Silva (Ed.). Hershey, PA: IGI Global
Cultural citizenship online: the Internet and digital culture
“ Internet is no longer the exclusive preserve of affluent or culturally dominant communities s and networks” (p.528) This is an incredibly bold statement, and I do not believe it is true.  Although Internet access may be more wide spread, governments still block and censor materials, low economic individuals and families may have access to Internet in some aspects of their life, but they do not have the same access as the affluent or culturally dominant.
“In using the Internet, individuals, groups and cultures are also being shaped and potentially transformed by and through it” (p.529)  In  my opinion there can be no doubt that people are being transformed through the Internet.  If you take the Vancouver riot for example, rioters can be identified more easily as the pictures and videos have gone viral and are out there for everyone to see.  The gentlemen who tired to light the police car on fire will now have lasting consequences because his actions are forever captured and circulated on the Internet.   As the article points out, the Internet can also give a voice to those who have struggled with their image in the main stream media, such as the Indigenous people.  The Internet can provide a platform that did not exist before.  This does require individuals to be technologically savvy, which requires proper education and exposure to the resource.  Some could argue that not all populations including the indigenous have the same accessibility as others to these resources and therefore at even further disadvantage. 
Class and video reflection July 12:
My group had a great discussion about how gaming is changing and adapting with the Internet.  The quick and easy online game is taking flight over the big gaming systems.
I agree with Heather’s point in regards to the video “Visitors and Residence”.  If you look at it in terms of visitor or resident with room in between you can find where you belong.  Where are if there is only native or immigrant, it is more difficult to feel like you really belong to either of the groups completely or entirely.
Reading reference: just because you can say the words does not mean you understand.  Just because you can be on the Internet does not mean you understand how to use it.
I do not think we can have a fixed definition for digital literacy, as it is continuously evolving and changing.  I do agree that students need to be critical thinkers and problem solving and that the skills they need to develop need to be incorporated with the new technologies, but the basic skills are those we have always wanted students to develop regardless of technology.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment